Even today, it stands out as an impressive piece of architecture. Imagine what it must have looked like to the people of the Civil War era when originally built in 1865. The Italianate style house, quite common in that era, was first built by Henry Bemenderfer, according to an inventory of historic structures of Elkhart County. He was a farmer who came to Elkhart County in 1865 from Virginia. He operated a brickyard near his home and bricks from his plant were used to build a one-room schoolhouse nearby and eventually named after him. The house stands on State Road 15
in Jefferson Township, Elkhart County, just north of Goshen.