Monthly Archives: December 2012

Old Middlebury Town Hall

Can you imagine a building this size serving as the town hall? It once did in Middlebury in the northern portion of Elkhart County. Now the Miller Insurance Agency, the building is located in the first block of Main Street, … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Former Pierceton Train Depot

Originally built in the 1860s, the former train station in Pierceton, Kosciusko County, is one of the oldest surviving depot buildings in northern Indiana. It served as a station for passenger service on the old Pennsylvania Railroad. The railroad line … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Former Excelsior-Myers Schoolhouse

Now Barney’s Bar, this building was once known as Excelsior-Myers School. It is located on Hammond Avenue (also County Road 45 or the Old Elkhart Road) in Elkhart very close to Hively Avenue. The brick school was built in 1882 … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Former Millersburg Train Station

A train station once served as a community gathering place. Often a depot was the place to connect to the outside world. Shown is the former Wabash Railroad depot of Millersburg, Elkhart County. The Wabash RR was abandoned several years … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Former car dealer/gas station in New Paris

The downtown area used to be the place to do business including filling the automobile’s gas tank. Shown is the building for the former Werner Motor Sales on Market Street in New Paris, Elkhart County. It is just east of … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment