Elkhart is not unlike other cities of its size in that older buildings have been or may be lost due to demolition. Another one may be demolished by the city. The former Schult warehouse building on South Main Street dating back to the 1890s is being considered for demolition. A grant administrator has been hired to research the issue and apply for federal funding to help cover the cost of demolition. The more recent history of the building dates to 1936 when it was used as a travel trailer manufacturing facility. At that time the business was known as Schult Trailers and was operated by Wilbur Schult and his father, William. But the building was originally built in the 1890s and was used by the Noyes Carriage Company. As the name implied, carriages were built there and at one time more than 100 people were employed. The building is now privately owned and is still used as a warehouse. It is likely in need of some repairs.