This former carriage house in Goshen is a bit unusual in that it was not built until about 1930 according to an inventory of historic structures in Elkhart County published by Indiana Landmarks. By 1930, of course, the “horseless carriage” or the automobile had started to take a firmer grip on the transportation scene. One can wonder just how many carriages were still in use then, but keep in mind there wasn’t a car or two in about every garage as is typically common now. Perhaps the building was used to take care of horses and-or store and maintain carriages for those living in rural areas. Now used as an office for an attorney, the building is located on West Clinton Street near Second Street on the fringes of downtown. Goshen still has a few of these types of buildings and this particular one has a gabled front.