It may not look like it now with the siding on it, but this building on State Road 15 in Waterford Mills, Elkhart County, was originally built in about 1840 according to the book “Waterford: From Then to Now” by the late Lowell Bechtel. For a few years the building was known as the Waterford Inn and was a thriving business. One can imagine weary wagon or horse and buggy travelers on the old Logansport-White Pigeon Road (now State Road 15) finding rest and refuge at the inn. After it ceased being an inn, the building served as a double dwelling for a while. Later part of the building was used for various businesses including a doctor’s office, grocery store, gas station, icehouse and restaurant. It is still a restaurant today. For many years the building also served as a home.